Factors That Encourage Risky Behaviours In Teens

Rebecca Scarlett By Rebecca Scarlett, 31st Aug 2010 | Follow this author | RSS Feed
Posted in Wikinut>Family>Teenagers

Reasons why teenagers often engage in risky behaviour.

Factors That Encourage Risky Behaviours In Teens

Everyone knows that the teen years are generally a risky time. We hear on the news every day about teens who took silly or stupid risks and ended up in tragedy. Often, even intelligent teens fall prey to this behaviour, but why? Hear at some factors that encourage risky behaviour in teens.

Brain Chemistry

A teenager's brain is not the same as an adults. The pre-frontal cortex, responsible for higher-order thinking and decision making, does not finish forming until the early twenties. Teens have not yet learned to become "risk-averse" like adults. In many cases, teens assess the risk of an activity accurately; when asked how likely drinking and driving is to result in injury, for example, teens will usually come up with an accurate estimate, whereas adults will overestimate risk. The difference is that teens will think of a 40% chance of disaster as a 60% chance of being fine - after all, you'd buy a lottery ticket with a 60% chance of winning, right? - but adults feel that even if the chances of disaster are far smaller than that, the risk of being part of the smaller percentage is unacceptable

Peer Pressure

Teens in a group can talk each other into dangerous activities they would not attempt alone. It is very hard for a teen to be on the outside of a social network, and being seen as a "wuss" might as well be a death sentence. Peers have such influence that teens are likely to do even very risky things in the pursuit of acceptance. The group of friends a teen has, therefore will influence their level of risky activity. A level-headed group is unlikely to escalate peer pressure to take risks, but one or two high risk-takers in a group can cause even normally cautious teens to act out

Rebellion

Sometimes teenagers feel the need to define themselves as the opposite of their parents. Since their parents want the best for them and advise them to engage in safe activities, this logically forces them to respond by engaging in risky activities. It may make no sense to the adult mind, but teenagers feel that they are not trusted if "babied" by their parents, and may take extra risks to prove that they can "take care of themselves."
There are many factors that encourage risky teen behaviour, and understanding them may be the first step towards keeping your teen safe!

Tags

Teen Behaviour, Teen Risks, Teen Stupid Behaviour, Teens

Meet the author

author avatar Rebecca Scarlett
Rebecca Scarlett is a professional freelance writer with over 14 years of experience. She writes articles, essays, blogs, short stories, plays, poetry, songs, novels, and does copy editing. She has been published in print and extensively online. Scar...(more)

Share this page

moderator Mark Gordon Brown moderated this page.
If you have any complaints about this content, please let us know

Comments

author avatar maftab92
27th Sep 2010 (#)

GREAT CONTENT.

Reply to this comment

author avatar Rebecca Scarlett
3rd Oct 2010 (#)

Thanks!

Reply to this comment

author avatar Sbekeh
6th May 2011 (#)

i wonder if parents can ever have an input to children and their riscky behaviours because some parentd just don't have the time to attend to their kids proparly because maybe they think we're old enough nd might not need them anymore whereas young aduls we do need to hear what our parents have to say , they might think that we don't listen but most of the time we pretend not to be interested and then when we are alone we do meditate on it and we choose those things that we think can be relevaat and we can apply in our lives.

Reply to this comment

author avatar Die
23rd Apr 2012 (#)

ur boreing

Reply to this comment

author avatar LucyndisO's wife
30th Jul 2012 (#)

Peer pressure is there most bad thing in teenagers,Our youth this dayz can't even tk their own decision their decision are being taken by their peers n they listen to their peers alot n that leads to peer pressure

Reply to this comment

author avatar Lolly daodu
20th Aug 2013 (#)

I relate

Reply to this comment

author avatar LERATO
24th Aug 2013 (#)

LOL WHY DO WE ALWAS BLAME PEOPLE FOR OUR MISTAKES?I PERSONALY DONT THINK THERE IS SUCH AS PEER PREASURE..WE DO THINGS KNOWING THAT THERE ARE PEOPLE WE ARE GOING TO BLAME FOR OUR WRONG AND BAD ACTIONS ONCE THEY BACK FIRE ON US

Reply to this comment

author avatar William
19th Aug 2015 (#)

True.

Reply to this comment

author avatar Thandolwethu
31st Jul 2014 (#)

risk behaviour is normal and teens jst need guides nd thy will be fine nd adults plz dnt act lyk u didn't not go through it

Reply to this comment

author avatar Kristen
30th Aug 2014 (#)

Well this great stuff right here and from my personal point of view us as teenagers get affected by such things daily and each and everyone of us will have our different opinions to different things but please do NOT judge others that get affected by it!!

Reply to this comment

author avatar Lebo
27th Aug 2015 (#)

I wonder why some teens are getting influence by their peers and their don't have self control

Reply to this comment

author avatar Tshenolo
31st Aug 2015 (#)

I too don't think that peer pressure plays a major role in getting millions and millions of teens to do such...no one held a gun on your head and forced you to do something that you are not utterly comfortable with ....pining this on peer pressure is way over board :/

Reply to this comment

author avatar Cebisile
17th Sep 2015 (#)

Yeah peer pressure is not the main thing that makes people involves their selves in doing wrong things but a person choose what does he/she want in life

Reply to this comment

author avatar Anelisa
10th Aug 2016 (#)

Thank you

Reply to this comment

author avatar Abby
13th Aug 2016 (#)

In my opinion peer is real but the only people that allow it to influence their lives are the ones who don't know themselves or have a very low self esteem.....

Reply to this comment

author avatar Michael
19th Aug 2016 (#)

I disagree as a 19 year old our cortex has nothing to do with our behaviour. We behave like everyone else. Just in an adults head they think they are always right because the are the oldest and think they are the wise ones. The world has change since they were teenages so dont blame peer presure and our cortex not being fully developed properly. Thats rubbish that you pulled out of thin air to have an excuse to think adults arent going mad. We teenages do what we do because we dont have a voice to speak for ourselves so instead we take everyones shit and find our own way of getting rid of the stress that builds up in us. Everyone was once a teenager and now that they are adults they forgot what it feels like to be a victim of websites like this.

Reply to this comment

author avatar B
2nd Sep 2018 (#)

Bitcch

Reply to this comment

author avatar Karabo
22nd Aug 2016 (#)

Yes!

Reply to this comment

author avatar B
2nd Sep 2018 (#)

Asshole

Reply to this comment

Add a comment
Username
Can't login?
Password