The Asset called Resilience and Building It
On attack of an adversity, if the person bounces back soon just as normal as he/she had always been, he/she is called to have resilience. If the person is not resilient, he/she may crumble down under an adversity for long if not for ever.
The Characteristic of Resilience
On attack of an adversity, if the person bounces back soon just as normal as he/she had always been, he/she is called to have resilience. If the person is not resilient, he/she may crumble down under an adversity for long if not for ever. Higher the resilience, lower the time to get normal. Resilience is surely a positive characteristic of a person, which could be built by the person him/herself if the person is deficient in this.
Researches have established that there are three traits of personality that make a person resilient – Flexible, Adaptable and Change-loving. Looking at these three traits minutely, we find that such a person treats life as a dynamic thing rather than static one. This perception of life makes all the difference. This also means that the person looks at every change as a new opportunity for himself instead of perceiving it as an obstacle.
Six Ways of Cultivating Resilience
Though some persons may inherit resilience, there are quite bright chances for others to cultivate it in their respective personalities. Six Ways to cultivate resilience in one’s personality –
1. Find something Positive in an Adversity : Most of the situations have something positive in them for all those concerned. For example, I lost my long-time friend and beloved recently for a mistrust that proved to be a severe setback to me. But I got recovered quickly for enjoying the freedom I got which I may use to find even a better beloved myself.
2. Be Open to learning : If a person is open to learning new things from each of his/her experiences, it becomes easy for him/her find some silver-lining in an adversity – a lesson for future, or a way to deal with the adversity.
3. Face the Adversity : Worrying in an adverse situation leads to blockade of mind. What is required of the person is to find a solution to the problem rather than crumbling down in pessimism.
4. Have Empathy : When a person has a compassionate nature, he/she has that for him/herself too. Therefore, in an adverse situation, he/she thinks on taking him/herself out of the situation through finding some solution to the problem. For a solution, look at the problem as a person unconcerned, or as seen by others. Thus, empathy with others and seeing things from other’s point of view, particularly the opponent, is coupled with resilience of a person.
5. Get Ready for the Adversities : For a person not much bothered for his/her physical comforts, yet enjoying them if easily available, he/she naturally has the resilience. So, be comfortable in every situation you are in through a mental compromise, thinking that everything, including an adversity, is to pass off in due course.
6. Be Humorous : Lastly, humor washes off all the sorrows of all the adversities. Play with children where you don’t weep out but try to make them happy through your smiles. Visiting a friend who is habitually humorous helps in bringing you out of the sad mood and once, you are out of it, your mind works to find a solution.
It is all about one’s perception about an adversity – fixed or transient, unchangeable or subject to influence. In other words, this perception is direct result of the person’s self-confidence of handling an adversity or influencing it through directly facing it.