Television in Britain
You can read six facts about the television in Britain.
The British watch too much TV.
1. In British television there are five main channels. Two channels are public (BBC 1 and BBC 2) and three are private (ITU, Channel 4 and Channel 5).
2. The first daily TV programmes in the world were on the BBC in 1936.
3. There are also satellite channels, e.g. 'Sky'. You pay to watch these channels.
4. Famous British 'soaps' are EastEnders (about people in the east of London), Coronation Street (about a street in Manchester) and Brookside (about people in Liverpool). The first Coronation Street proqramme was in 1960!
5. BBC 1 and ITV often have popular quizzes and game shows.
6. BBC 2 and Channel 4 often have interesting educational programmes and documentaries. On average, people in Britain watch 23 hours of TV per week!